Square Foot Gardens (4x4)
Each garden requires four boards, 2 inches wide x 4 ft long x 11 3/8 inches high. We could double the height if teachers wanted to grow root crops (e.g., potatoes, sweet potatoes)
Other Requirements to Construct the Squares
· Corner pieces if we can afford them or they can be nailed together
· Weed cloth for the bottom
· Wood lath to place across the top and denote each “square foot”
16 cubic feet of soil for each box (book recommends 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 blended compost). I recommend buying good premix potting soil.
Tools and Equipment
· Trowel: $4.27 x 25 = $106.75
· Plant tags (8 cents each or less)
All New Square Foot Gardening, Bartholomew $14.28 on Amazon
Kits that include seeds and plants (e.g., herb garden kit, flower garden kit, international garden, greens garden, spaghetti dinner garden – and on and on).
If we have 16 squares in each bed, and 25 beds, that means we have 400 squares.
Garden Plan and Instructions
· Plans for different types of gardens
· Instructions on planting seeds
· A few recipes for each garden type